Where are you in your life right now?
1.Could you stay living where you are now and take care of a baby?
2.Would you want to raise your baby in the environment you live in now?
3. If no, are you willing and able to move?
4. Could you continue to do what you are doing now and take care of a baby? If not, who would watch your baby while you are working or in school? Would you be able to stay at home if your baby got sick?
5. Would you be able to get up with your baby at night and then function the next day at school, work or caring for your child?
6. Do you have friends or family members who will help you care for the baby?
7. Are you ready to care for a child on a day-to-day basis – including feeding the baby, washing dirty clothes, picking up toys, playing with the baby, caring for the baby when the baby is sick etc.?
Supporting Your Child
8. Can you afford to support a child right now (for example, buying food, formula, diapers, clothes, medical care, toys etc.)?
9. Do you have friends or family who would help you with the cost of supporting a child?
10. Do you have or are you eligible for WIC, welfare, Medicaid or other assistance that might help you cover the cost of supporting a child?
Your Personal/Social Life
11. What do you like to do in your spare time?
12. Will you be able to do those things while caring for a child?
13. Are you ready to give up being able to do what you want when you want?
14. Will the people you spend time with enjoy having a child around?
What are your goals and dreams?
1. What are your educational goals?
2. What are your career goals?
3. What are your family plans? Do you want to get married? Do you want to raise children some day?
4. Before pregnancy what did you think you would be doing? Next year? Five years from now? Ten years from now?
5. How would raising a child change the plans and goals you just listed in questions 1 through 4?
6. What do you want out of your life right now?
7. What do you want out of your life in the future?
What do you expect from and wish for your child?
1. Do you expect your child to make your life happy?
2. Do you want your child to have opportunities and materials things that you didn’t have? Can you provide those opportunities and things? How?
3. Do you have special desires or hopes for your child?
Would you enjoy parenting? Would you be a good parent?
1.Do you like children?
2. Do you have experience caring for children? If so, do you enjoy it?
3. Have you ever cared for a child 24 hours a day? If not, is that something that you feel ready to handle?
4. Are you patient enough to deal with the noise and stress of everyday parenting? 5. What kind of time and space do you need for yourself and how would you arrange to have that time and space while caring for a child?
6. What do you do when you get angry or upset? Are you likely to lose your temper?
7. How would you discipline a child?
8. Are you good at setting limits and sending a consistent message? 9. How would you take care of your child’s health and safety?
How will you feel if you choose adoption?
1. Do you know anyone who has placed a child for adoption? Could you talk to them? If you would like to speak with someone who has placed a child, please call us: 1-800-923-6784.
2. How do you think you will feel if you pick the adoptive parents for your child?
3. How do you think you will feel if you leave the hospital without the baby?
4. Would you be interested in talking to an adoption counselor about your feelings?
5. What will you want to know about your child in a year? Two years? Five years?
If you would like to talk to someone about making an adoption plan, you can call East Indian Adoption at any time: 1-800-923-6784.